top of page

Truck insurance coverage's



Compulsory Coverages In Ontario


Required in Ontario - Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Direct Compensation, Uninsured Motorist, and Accident Benefits


The required limit by law in Ontario is $200,000 however a large majority of private motorists carry $1,000,000.


For an owner operator, or fleet, at least $2,000,000 is recommended, and $5,000,000 is preferred. A carrier may find that certain customers will not deal with trucking operations with less than $5,000,000 in liability coverage.


How much coverage to you need? The guideline with liability coverage is, purchase as much as you can afford especially if you enter the United States! U.S. lawyers love to sue Canadian trucking companies and are especially apt at settling bodily injury claims for very large sums.



Physical Damage Coverage's


If you want to protect your vehicle from collisions with other vehicles or objects, you need physical damage coverage.


Physical damage coverage pays for damage to your vehicle — including if it is totaled — in case of a collision.


In Ontario, damage to your equipment is covered by the following: 



Covers damage to your truck or trailer when involved in an accident. 



Covers damage to your truck or trailer when stolen, vandalized, involved in fire, or otherperils while the vehicle is not in motion. 


All Perils

Includes perils under collision and comprehensive coverage, and more. Commercial vehicles should have all perils coverage as collision coverage alone excludes theft by an employee. 



For physical damage coverage’s you must choose a deductible, which is the amount that you agree to pay out of pocket when you have a claim. You may also purchase a deductible buydown policy to reduce your risk. 


Motor Truck Cargo Insurance


Motor Truck Cargo insurance (Cargo) generally provides insurance for liability assumed by the carrier while cargo is in their care, custody, or control. 


It is very important to know exactly what kind of cargo policy you are purchasing. Every cargo policy is different, and can have exclusions that could leave you paying out of pocket if your customer is not satisfied with the delivery of their product.


Cargo Liability

Limits are available from $100,000 - $10,000,000We recommend $200,000 minimum coverage as most brokers will not deal with a carrier that has less than this amount.


Additional coverage available

Earned Freight CoverageOptional coverage to pay for freight shipping revenues which are un-collectable because of loss or damage to the goods being hauled, coverage up to $20,000. 


Debris Removal Coverage

Pays for the removal of debris created as a result of an accident. 


Refrigeration Interruption Coverage 


Owned Cargo Coverage 



Commercial General Liability Coverage

This coverage pays for injuries or property damage you cause as a result of business activities not directly related to operating your truck.


Examples of situations where Trucker’s General Liability may provide coverage:


  • Customers slipping / falling on the your premises

  • Erroneous delivery of products resulting in damage

  • Actions of a driver while representing the insured and on the premises of others, such as, loading docks, truck stops, etc

  • Libel and slander exposures

  • Fire on rental property due to insured’s error


Additional Coverage's and Policies Available

Deductible Aggregate Coverage
Caps the total of your Power Unit, Trailer, and Cargo deductibles to a specified amount for any one occurrence. 

Umbrella Polices
If your primary insurer will not handle your liability needs we can provide the extra coverage needed by your customer, employer, or landlord. 

Commercial Property
Most landlords require a certain amount of property and liability coverage. We can insure your business premises and equipment what every your needs may be. 

bottom of page